Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New Life

Monday was the first day of our new life without daddy. Di-di seemed to sense that something was going to happen. He was extra clingy with daddy on Sunday and only wanted daddy when he was upset which was unlike him. Di-di was fine throughout dinner and bath time on Monday evening, although he was less active than usual. Then all of a sudden, I heard crying from the family room when I was preparing his bottle before his bedtime. I recorded the last minute of what I saw: Di-di was standing in front of daddy's picture, crying for his "baba". It broke my heart!!!
He has also uncharacteristically cried twice during his sleep like he was having a nightmare. I couldn't wake him up from his nightmares, so I had to turn on the light and showed him daddy's video to finally calm him down and get him back to sleep. Oh..my God... I'd better write down all of the reasons why daddy had to go to London without us so that Di-di might understand our decision one day. I really hope that there won't be any permanent impact on Di-di with daddy being absent for months. I have so much respect for soldiers who have to leave their kids and family for a much longer period of time to serve in Iraq.

Today S has arrived at London safely. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of his new flat. He is renting a room in a 4-bedroom flat, sharing 1 1/2bathroom and one kitchen with 4 other people (soon.) For $1,600 USD per month, we thought he was going to get a 10x10 room that was only big enough for a bed, but his room looks as big as 10x20 in the pictures which is HUGE by London's standard...hahaha!! Did I mention how insanely expensive housing cost is in London!! The washing machine and driers (in the picture) are as small as we had expected.. Check out the pictures of his new home away from home.

Di-di was so excited to see daddy via Skype webcam today, but he became very upset when we hung up. I had to call S back 3 times when Di-di would start crying as soon as S's face disappeared. I finally tricked Di-di by showing him a video of daddy so that daddy could finally go to bed, because it was almost 2AM in London!! Poor S, he must have been so tired from the travel and staying up to talk to Di-di. Hope my daddy-video trick can "fool" Di-di until December when S comes home during his winter break.

2 comments:

Peanuts' Mom said...

Awww... Di-di is such a Daddy's boy. Good thing for the internet and webcam, huh? Di-di will want to see Daddy everyday! So sweet. I hope Mommy is hanging in there too!

R... said...

Skype has been great for us when the trips are short, but Island Boy starts to get frustrated with it the longer the trip is. I hope it works to keep you all feeling connected over the months to come!!

R...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers