Friday, April 4, 2008

Ching Ming Jei (Tomb Sweeping Day)

No matter where I have been, every Spring always reminds me of Ching Ming Jei. Chinese New Year is widely celebrated outside of China and Taiwan, but Ching Ming Jei is not as widely observed by overseas Chinese. It makes sense, since most new immigrants' ancestors are probably buried in their home town.

Growing up, Ching Ming Jei was as important as Chinese New Year in my village. Even for just one day, most family members would travel back to the village to sweep our ancestors' tombs, cook a feast for our ancestors and to "talk" to them. Children would "tell" our ancestors about our achievements for the past year and ask for protection and good grades in the coming year. We figured that a little extra help from our ancestors did not constitute cheating.. :) The family will then gather to feast on the "leftover" food that we have prepared and offered to our ancestors (they didn't really "eat" the food, but we always thought they did.:)

Then I moved away from Taiwan months after my grandma passed away in 1987 . She was my closest "ancestor" who actually brought me up, yet I didn't have a chance to sweep her tomb until last year when I was finally in Taiwan during Ching Ming Jei. It felt like I have never left my ancestors when I stood in front of them again to pray and tell them everything about my life, my baby and asked for their protection. The meaning of Ching Ming Jei for me is really to show respect and gratitude for people who gave me life and "roots". I do feel guilty not being in Taiwan for the Ching Ming Jei to perform all of the rites, but I will pray to them from a distance to let them know that I will not forget them and will forever be grateful to all of my ancestors no matter where I am.

S will probably never have the chance to sweep his birth ancestors' tombs in person, but I will teach him about this important tradition and the meaning of Ching Ming Jie. He may not know who his ancestors are like I did growing up, but the traditional value of respecting our birth (and adopted) roots and forebears will not be lost.

Here's my favorite Chinese poem for Ching Ming Jei: simply titled "Ching Ming" by Du-Mu:
清明時節雨紛紛
路上行人欲斷魂
借問酒家何處有
牧童遙指杏花村

Found this direct English translation on the web, but the "meaning" is somewhat lost in translation:(
Drizzling rain falls like tears on Ching Ming Shi Jei
A mourner`s heart is breaking on his way home.
Where can a hostel be found to drown his sadness?
A cowherd points to Xing Hua village in the distance.

(I did tweak the translation a little)

1 comment:

R... said...

This is really a lovely post. Thank you for sharing your special perspective on Taiwanese culture!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers