Saturday, April 19, 2008

To Share or Not to Share (the choice was hard to our Di-di:)

One thing we are learning about human nature as parents is that the idea of "sharing" is very much a learned behavior. So far, I haven't run into any babies or toddlers in Di-di's class who would willingly "share" their toys. His classmates are very much like his siblings in that they fight over toys and for adults' attention, even though there are more toys than they can all have. I get at least one report a week from Di-di's school that documents either he bit someone or was bitten by someone when they were fighting over toys.
Di-di is even more protective of his food. I try to teach the idea of "sharing" food by opening my mouth in front of him when he is eating. If he give me some of his food, I would kiss him to encourage the sharing behavior. Sometimes he would eat "faster" or simply ignore my presence AFTER he gives me a cheerio or two . Today, totally out of the blue, Di-di just started to block his bowl completely with his hands as soon as I got near his food. This little gesture and change of pattern broke mommy's heart (inside), even though I was laughing! :) Of course, daddy was laughing so hard at mommy's misery. I finally got half of a grape from Di-di! I am realizing that my method is flawed and it's time to find help from experts. Note to self: need to study up on the right techniques of teaching the concept of sharing to Di-di.
Oh well, our backup plan for our old age is to buy an advanced robot (being developed and improved in Japan ) that can take care of lonely old people.:( We figure if Di-di is not willing to even share his food, what's the odds that he would take care of us and change our diapers when we are old and you know what...
(Hey- no hard feeling after all. Di-di: mommy and daddy still love you sooo much!!)




(Sweet dream Di-di. We love you!)

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I think I'm gonna need one of those robots too! Except I want mine to look more "Harajuka chic". LOL! When you figure out how to get little (almost 2 yr olds) to share then tell me the secret. I've got know clue what I'm doing either. Hehehe!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers