Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bath






I went to Bath last weekend since it looks like the last weekend before things went from busy to insanely busy. Thankfully the weather was absolutely beautiful and I had a great day.

I left London at 8am and took a smooth 2 hour train ride. (Side note: During the 4 hour ride (to and from Bath) I was able to finish half of a book I am reading called "My life as a Quant". Sounds pretty boring but it is an interesting book about a physics PhD who had a very successful career on Wall Street. Although it is not required reading for my school I am trying to learn as much as possible about all the facets of Wall Street. )

When I got to Bath I walked around the whole town centre (which like most towns in the UK took all of 40 minutes). Then saw a tour of the ancient Roman baths. The baths were built around 300-400AD. It was a very impressive bathing complex with multiple bathing pools, a dry sauna, changing rooms, etc. (In retrospect, it isn't that much different from modern day spas.)

Then I had a "full British breakfast" at a department store (I know, odd place for a breakfast). A full British breakfast is a heart-attack waiting to happen....It is comprised of 2 eggs, bacon, sausage and hash browns. For good measure I also had tomatoes and mushrooms.

Next, I went to the only place in UK where you can swim/dip in natural spring water. The spa is 4 stories and top floor has an open air pool where you overlook the town. I didn't want to upset the other bathers by taking pictures but you can see the view from this link.
www.thermaebathspa.com

After that I checked out Bath Abbey (which is a stunning, well-preserved church), ate dinner, did a little shopping and went home!

P.S. - you can click on each picture to see it in all its grandeur...

1 comment:

Johnson said...

wow... sounds very exciting Simon.. I'm sure you did enjoy the relax day after so much of school...

Cheers,
Johnson

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers