Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kitchen Remodel Challenges

Even though our kitchen remodel has not risen to the level of a "disaster" yet, it's soon approaching to be one..

Here are some lessons I have learned:
1. Always expect delay: I was too optimistic to believe that everything will be done in 4 days. Well, two weeks later, I am still without all of the counter tops, kitchen sink and appliances.
2. Expect project cost overrun: on top of the dining out expenses I had previously mentioned, I would budget 10% to 20% of unexpected costs. In our case, the small electrical problem with the garage plugs has now turned into a $2000 job. I hired electrician #1 who supposedly made the problem worse according to electrician #2. Electrician #1 never returned as he had promised to fix the problems after he unscrewed the plugs in question & didn't even return my calls!! I hired electrician #2 who did fix the problem at $350, but he also suggested that for safety reason I should have the entire "breaker" replaced which costs $1500 plus a $100 for permit. I of course told him to go ahead and do it.... It sounds like a lot of work and the whole house will be without electricity for one day. Hmmm how do I squeeze this one in when I still have counter tops and appliances to be installed? What if he mess up and my brand new appliances are fried... Can you feel that I am getting more and more pessimistic about the remodel!!
3. Trust your instinct and the show room display when choose a new counter top. Lowes kitchen show room featured this beautiful solid surface counter top with an awesome "desert sand" color and I was sold. It's a warmer sand color that obviously goes well with the cabinets and our existing wall color. However, S didn't like it. The color bugs him, because it didn't quite go with the new stainless steel appliances. Sigh... he liked this "beige sand" color & I just...whatever... All we saw was a small piece of sample that looked ok... However, when the installation guy showed up with half of the counter top I almost had a heart attack. It looked sooo much more gray with a little brown than I had envisioned. The color didn't go with anything in our house right now. It was too late to change, unless we put in a brand new order ($2,800). We are stuck with the "beige sand", but I am hoping it might look better once the appliances are in. It might grow on me. The installation guy joked that the gray counter top goes well with our drive way and our cars...hahaha... too bad I can't put those things in my house!!! :)

*** Picked up my aunt from the airport today!!!! Di-di and I are almost fully recovered from the flu.

(Temp cooking stove. I totally forgot that I had this personal cooker for my rare Taiwanese hot pot feast! It has really come in handy when I just don't want to dine out anymore!)

(Bathroom/kitchen sink in one.)

(Mess left by electrician #1)

(Mess left by electrician #1)

(Mess left by electrician #1: this was what caused my network outage)

(Electrician #2 did his magic.)

(Can you see how "gray" my new counter top is compared to "beach sand"? Calling it "beige sand" was too deceiving!!! The installation guy showed me a sample of the "beach sand" color that he just installed... not as lovely as "desert sand", but is still better than "beige sand".)

1 comment:

Peanuts' Mom said...

Hopefully by now the kitchen is starting to come into shape. Hooray for Auntie being here! Your story of Auntie's life brought out some tears though. But yeah for Auntie's love for Di-di (and you) and being able to travel such long distance.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers